Monday, December 1, 2008

bye, bye monotony.

I'm taking a necessary mental-health day. Yes, intentionally prolonging this already blissful, five-day hiatus from the everyday monotony of 5:30 alarms, 7-3's consumed by 4-year old's with mouths like 20-somethings, afternoon black-outs (4-6 escapes me), debating dinner with the man, actually deciding on dinner with the man, finally eating dinner with the man, routinely watching our nightly line-up's, falling asleep on the couch, being jolted awake two hours later to force myself off the couch, and collapsing unconsciously onto an already unmade bed to then be greeted abruptly by another 5:30 alarm that seems three hours too soon. It's a beautiful monotony; it's my monotony, our monotony. But the occasional break, the occasional opportunity to entirely alter the order of my day, is something I would scream about if the other side of these walls didn't occupy entirely conscious-to-the-point-of-likely-irate-behavior-if-inconvenienced-by-a-deftly-shrill-series-of-good-intentioned-screams human beings. I would, but I'll refrain.

While decked in my finest seasonal attire, I've already managed to piece together a beautifully cohesive list of Christmas gifts for my pride and joy's which is celebratory in and of itself considering the colossally, ginormous task it morphed into last year. I've online-shopped; not just perused, but indeed purchased. It's beyond my considerably enlightened understanding (I jest) as to why I've waited until recently to take advantage of something so enticingly low-maintenance as online shopping. For the husband's sake (you'd think this phrase would be more telling considering it happens to slip off my fingers in practically every paragraph), I'm making a clear declaration that despite it's appeal, online shopping and I will have nothing more than a strictly platonic relationship. Strictly. I'm maintaining an honest policy here. Really.

But aside from the productivity, I've slept. I've lounged. I've ogled at sitcom reruns, infomercials, and television's finest buffet of morning talk shows. And I'm mere moments away from a robust lunch of grilled cheese, soup, and the remains of an Oreo ice cream cake from Coldstone. See? Spoiling myself at the expense of my thighs. The epitome of a day well spent.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Days off really are a lot of fun! I hope you enjoy yours thoroughly.